Baby Step 2 COMPLETED!

Wow! God is continuously blessing Seth and I, and we are extremely thankful!

The end of last August we started the "Financial Peace University" classes at our church. It is a 13 weeks series that teaches about managing your finances. "If you live like no one else... late you can LIVE like no one else." I was super excited about taking the class because I had talked with a couple people about their financial testimonies. Seth was not as excited about it, but agreed to go with me. It was shortly after the first couple classes that he became just as excited as I was and we were both on the same track. We began applying the principles and making changes in our life. We got all our envelopes organized, got our emergency fund in place, got our budget created, and began the process of the "debt snowball." Don't let me fool you... It was a bit overwhelming at first. There were times that I was working on our budget and wanted to just throw it away and forget about it. It's been difficult and a learning process, but it is definitely paying off!

Funny stories...

1. I had the money in my "grocery" envelope and was super excited about going and spending cash to get our monthly groceries. We went to the grocery store at the beginning of the month (knowing there were still a lot of days left in the month) and to get out of the store it took every bit of our cash in the envelope! I got in the truck and cried because I thought there was no way I was going to be able to figure the right amount every month. I wanted to give up - but it quickly hit me that I need to stop trying to be perfect the first time at something I have never practiced. Needless to say... there have not been any more trips to the grocery store like that first one and it has gotten better every month. We use coupons and have actually saved a lot of money!

2. I do good for about 3 months and then I have what I like to call a "Dave Ramsey relapse." Seth and I have pretty much stopped eating out all together unless someone gives us gift cards. I cook, he cooks, and it saves a lot of money! Well there have been several instances where we were doing really, really good and then it just hits me... I want to eat out OR Dillards is having a huge shoe sale OR Seth wants to go to Academy... It all works out in the end and again we are reminded that it is a learning process!

3. About 4 months after we got married I decided to back out of the garage and hit the neighbor behind us. There was not a whole lot of damage, but there was enough that I wanted to get the car fixed. I was beside my self and bawling my eyes out. I call Seth at work and explained to him what happened. He comes home and goes to the neighbors house (he is probably about 80 years old) and explains to him that we will fix his Jeep and get everything taken care of. The neighbor is only concerned with me being upset and crying and tells us not to worry about it, because he is just going to get some touch up paint to fix his bumper. Well... we were still going to get our car fixed and our deductible was $500. I was still very upset and knew it was all my fault that we were going to be out this money. Seth sat me down and reminded me that everything works out the way it is suppose to and that we would get it taken care of. He asked me, "Why do you think we have the emergency fund?" That was when it hit me... I thought that emergency fund was there and that it was NOT to be touched, emergency or not. Anyways, we got the car fixed, never missed the $500, and even gave our neighbor $10 for the cost of the touch up paint. It all worked out! :)

Now that 9 months have passed and we have been "living like no one else" we can officially say, "WE ARE DEBT FREE." We have paid off $13,300.00 in debt in 8 months. The feeling of knowing that there are no more monthly payments and that that money can be put into savings is ammmmaaaaazzzziiinnnnggg! We are now working on saving our 3-6 month emergency fun (which is half way complete) and then we will begin saving for our very own new home!

God is so good and he teaches us that when we are good stewards of his money and give to him he will bless us. We are definitely seeing those fruits and are extremely thankful for everything he is doing in our lives!


0 comments:

Leave a Comment